Nigeria v South Africa Tips
Nigeria vs South Africa Tips: Both of these sides had to face adversity in the last round to get here.
The Super Eagles fought from 2-1 down against Cameroon to win 3-2, while South Africa held their own against the tournament favourites and hosts Egypt winning 1-0.
Below I’ll outline their key metrics and team news and attempt to find the best value bet for the match.
Tournament Metrics so far
South Africa – Nigeria v South Africa Tips
- Defensively South Africa have been one of the most robust nations at this year’s tournament. Nigeria will need to bring their A game to break them down. So far Bafana Bafana have conceded just twice with a total xGA (expected goals against) of 2.5.
- Nigeria are at the other end of the spectrum. From the teams left in the tournament, they now have the worst defensive numbers with 4 goals conceded at an xGA of 4.08.
- South Africa’s games have been very low scoring and we won’t be surprised to see them contain Nigeria here either. So far their matches are averaging just 1 goal with a total xG of 1.19.
- South Africa aren’t giving their opposition many chances. So far in this tournament, their opponents are averaging just 2.75 attempts on goal per match
- Considering they’ve played three of the best teams in Africa (Egypt, Morrocco, and Cote d’Ivoire) this is remarkably impressive.
Nigeria – Nigeria v South Africa Tips
- Nigeria exposed Cameroons flaws in the last round which we expected and profited from but not without a scare.
- Cameroon had about 4 or 5 big chances in that game and only converted twice. The Super Eagles looked far from their best at the back.
- Apart from their game with Guinea, Nigeria have looked defensively frail in all their matches.
- Nigeria have now conceded at least once in 5 of their last 7 competitive games. Their only clean sheets were against Guinea and Burundi
- Nigeria’s opponents so far are averaging 9.5 attempts on their goal
These sides met twice in qualification and South Africa avoided defeat in both matches. In Nigeria, they beat the Super Eagles 2-0 and then managed a 1-1 back home in Johannesburg
I believe South Africa can keep this game very close and restrict Nigeria to very few good goalscoring chances. With Nigeria’s defensive numbers in this tournament, they may just need a single goal to progress to the semi-finals.
South Africa +0.5 Asian Handicap at 1.9 with Pinnacle – 1 unit